Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Some Spinning


I just finished spinning up @ 2 pounds of merino roving that I bought 10 years ago (yes, 10 years, be quiet) at MS$W. It looks black, but is really an incredibly dark green with bits of red and blue in it. It was absolutely amazing to spin, it felt like silk in my hands, and I'm sorry I finished it! I think it was an Ashland Bay roving, but if it was the color is since discontinued... The larger skein has about 530 yards, the smaller about 270. I planned on making a sport to dk-weight 3-ply yarn, and I think I succeeded. This yarn makes me incredibly happy, because it's what I planned on, it's NOT thread, and the plying worked! I'm thinking of making a Flower Basket shawl out of it. I know that 3-ply isn't supposed to be as good for lace as 2-ply, but I'll swatch and see how it looks. Maybe I can finish a shawl in time for Rhinebeck. Here's a lousy picture. The bottom skein is the one I spun first. It's OK, but I think it's too loosely spun and plied. The top one is much better. I'm spinning some Rhaphsody roving, the Barefoot Blend in "Fireweed" from Paradise Fibers (www.paradisefibers.net). It's a blend that's meant for socks, with superwash, mohair and nylon. It's a challenge for me to keep it consistent, as it's a little felted from the dying and there are some neps. I'm loving the color, though, and I can't wait to see if I can knit socks with it. I'll post a picture when I can - my camera battery decided to drop dead and since it it's an older model (Canon G5) I'm going to have to look for a new battery. It's so tempting to just buy a new camera!

No comments: